Re: Curious Sunday Morning Linux File System Question ??

Hi Mikkel,

Thanks for your quick response.

On Sun, 2007-03-11 at 10:39 -0500, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> William Case wrote:
> > Hi All;

[snip]

> This is the way Linux hides files and directories. You will notice
> that they do not show up in a normal ls listing, or in the file
> selection window of most programs. If you have your file manager set
> up not to show hidden files/directories, they will not show up there
> ether.

I understand the above comments.  The reason I included the bit about
being a newru was that I was looking for a deeper explanation than the
rudimentary.

For example, why would Linux/Unix choose to hide files when there is the
simple option of placing them in a standard sub-directory?  That
sub-directory could be 'dotted' if a strong need to hide things was
felt.

I am not actually proposing this but:  for neatness's sake couldn't I
create a sub-directory in /home, called 'userconfig' or '.userconfig',
put all my dot files in there?  Of course, I would then have to change
*all* my applications to look in 'userconfig' to find the config, *rc,
etc. data.

I asked because, the use of dot files has an ancient historical feel to
it,  but I wanted to check if there might be some overriding
practical/technical reason as well, and I asked because it was a quiet
Sunday Morning and I wasn't ready to get down to real work yet.

--
Regards Bill