USB HDD with HAL - Permission problem

Hello,

I have an external USB HDD formatted using NTFS. I am using ntfs-3g
(FUSE) and the drive is automatically detected and mounted when
plugged in. A non-root user is able to read the contents of the drive
but not write to it; although, with the drive plugged in, 'mount'
shows:

/dev/sda1 on /media/Portable type fuse
(rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,noatime,allow_other,default_permissions)

When I tried mounting the volume by hand with the exact same options,
writing worked for regular users.

Looking into /media, I saw the following:

[darkknight@darkworld media]$ ll
drwxr-xr-x 4 darkknight root 8192 Jan  1  1970 disk
dr-xr-xr-x 1 root       root 4096 Mar 11 14:17 Portable

('disk' is another USB volume (vfat) that works for regular users)

It would seem that the problem is due to the fact that the 'owner' and
file permissions on the automatically created mount point are not as
they should be. Is there any way to fix this problem?

TIA,
Mostafa