Re: Laptop recomendations

> I'm running FC6 on a Dell 6400/E1505 right now. Widescreen display
> works, touchpad works, wifi works, usb works, card reader works, VGA
> output works.

I have a couple of these also... The only thing I can say about the Dell is that it
was cheap and fairly decent processor/memory when I bought it. The build quality is
crap though, and the service is crappier. But it was the cheapest by about $200
versus a similarly configured HP.  I'll probably go with a Toshiba next though:

For the Linux specific stuff:

1) Try to get an NVidia video if at all possible. I've had nothing but grief trying
to get the ATI drivers to work properly on FC6.

2) Upgrade to the Intel wireless card for $10. Both the Dell default (some Broadcom
card) and the Intel work, but it was much easier (at least for me) to get the latter
to work.

3) On the Windows side you can disable how the media button acts, but pretty much
just set it to do nothing or try loading the Windows EXT2 drivers so you can read
the Linux side from Winders.

4) For the front keys it's a matter of playing with xev and finding the keyscan
codes. Then you can put them in KDE or your xinit to launch/control stuff.
Supposedly XMMS can be controlled this way but I've not tried.

5) BTW, the glossy screen is an option. I think it's called "Truelife" and it's $20
or so more. I like it, but it is annoying if there are bright lights around you
because of the glare.

6) Sleeping/hibernate worked once, stopped working after one update, started again,
stopped again.. Haven't done any troubleshooting yet. It does as well in Windows so
I can't really blame Fedora.

7) Oh yeah, Dell support is utter crap for Windows. I can't imagine what it's like
for Linux.

--
* The Digital Hermit   http://www.digitalhermit.com
* Unix and Linux Solutions   kwan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx