More Info: Please help: Fdisk/parted fails to handle >1TB partition!

Hi,

 Latest parted (1.8.2 version) fails as well, output
is attached below.

[root@giant ~]# parted /dev/sda
GNU Parted 1.8.2
Using /dev/sda
Welcome to GNU Parted! Type 'help' to view a list of
commands.
(parted) p
Error: Unable to open /dev/sda - unrecognised disk
label.
(parted) mklabel msdos
(parted) p
Model: AMCC 9590SE-16M DISK (scsi)
Disk /dev/sda: 5600GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: msdos

Number  Start  End  Size  Type  File system  Flags

(parted) mkpart primary ext3 0GB 5600GB
(parted) p
Model: AMCC 9590SE-16M DISK (scsi)
Disk /dev/sda: 5600GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: msdos

Number  Start   End     Size    Type     File system
Flags
 1      32.3kB  1202GB  1202GB  primary

(parted)