Re: Ethernet adapters logically reversed

This also happened to me. I was to lazy to find a script. I just
switched the cables. :)

On 3/9/07, Steve Friedman <steve@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Fri, 9 Mar 2007, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:

> Bob wrote:
>> Hi there,
>>
>> I have a fedora 5 system with the latest updates.  This machine has three
>> network adapters, each of which uses a different hardware driver.
>>
>> When I first boot, the eth0 and eth2 interfaces are logically attached to
>> the wrong controllers.  In /var/log/dmesg, the Realtek controller is loaded
>> first, and attaches to eth0 and the 3Com controller loads last and attaches
>> to eth2.  If I stop the network service, remove the 3c59x and 8139too
>> modules and restart the network, things get configured correctly.  Is there
>> a way to get things to work right when first booted?
>>
> You can try editing the /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth?
> files and make sure the HWADDR= lines have the correct MAC address
> for the interfaces you want.

If you are lazy:

http://linux.dell.com/files/name_eths/name_eths-0.4.tar.gz

will also ensure that the assignment is such that the LAN(s) on
Motherboard are assigned before cards and all are assigned in a consistent
order.

Steve Friedman