Re: Microsoft Basic Optical Mouse 1.0A & FC6

On Thu, 2007-03-08 at 23:07 -0500, Tony Nelson wrote:
> I see that this your first optical mouse.  Try not to move it fast.
> Setting its sensitivity up high, so that only a little movement will move
> the mouse cursor a long way, is the best way to use optical mice.  I myself
> use a steel ball mouse, with low sensitivity, for ease of positioning and
> less wrist flexing.
>
> Optical mice have a small 17x17 pixel camera in them and do the MPEG
> motion-compensation thing to detect motion.  If the mouse moves too far
> between frames the images won't overlap and it will just end up guessing.

I can't say that I'd agree with the suggestion.  I can certainly whiz
this optical mouse about (by hand) as rapidly as I can manage, much more
rapidly than I could do with a mechanical mouse, and it doesn't skip a
beat.

I'd also found that the tendency for Linux to wildly jerk the mouse
about, for no apparent reason, is even worse with a high sensitivity or
rapid acceleration mouse preferences options.

Much of the problems with optical mice are down to what's underneath it.
You'll want to experiment with different things.  Some are fine on the
desktop, others better with a mousepad, or even just a sheet of paper.

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.