Re: Microsoft Basic Optical Mouse 1.0A & FC6

Frank Cox wrote:
> On Thu, 08 Mar 2007 22:27:17 +0100
> Sander Hoentjen <sander@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> I have seen this happen on certain surfaces, like wood with the "lines"
>> on them, not sure how to call it in English. Also with certain mouse
>> pads. Are you sure that is not the problem here?
>
> I suppose that's possible.  This is a Belkin black mousepad with a built-in
> wrist rest thing that I have been using for a number of years.  I never had a
> problem with my Genius Netmouse on it, but that was a ball mouse.  This is the
> first optical mouse that I've had.
>
> The pad has no lines or anything on it, though.  It's just cloth surface that
> seems to be very slightly silky or furry.

Try using the mouse without a mouse pad, and see if you still have
the problem. I have used optical mice with mouse pads, and I they
have shown "interesting" quirks with used mouse pads. New mouse pads
usually work well, but used ones may have areas that make the
optical mouse think you have made a fast movement when you have not,
and/or moved farther then you really have.

One thing you will find is that optical mice respond differently
then ball mice on the same surface. The ball mouse depends on
traction for the ball, where as the optical mouse depends on
changing reflectiveness of the surface.

Mikkel