Re: Samba problem Fedora 6

On Thu, 2007-03-08 at 00:42 -0600, Joe W. Byers wrote:
> I installed Fedora 6 on an old HP computer that I have replacing an even
> older HP that had Fedora 5 installed (AMD366).  I had samba running on
> the Fedora 5 computer where I could print to a connected HPlaserjet1100
> printer from my Redhat EL4 server and windows XP computers.  I used this
> computer for a printing and web surfing mainly.  I could also access the
> shared directories from both my other machines.
>
> After installing Fedora 6 on the newer computer and setting up Samba I
> ran into several problems.  I set up Samba to as security = share just
> like on my REL4 machine
>
> 1.  I could not get to any of the shared directories on the Fedora 6
> computer.  I can see them in a KDE smb browser, but can not mount them
> or access them.  Access denied or smb://byers2/homeshare does not exits
> errors.

If SELinux is enabled, home directories are blocked by default.  Try
running, "setsebool -P samba_enable_home_dirs 1" (without the quotes).

> 2.  The Redhat EL4 automatically recognized the HPLaserjet printer on
> the Fedora Box, and I can print from the REL4 server but not the windows
> XP computer.  Funny thing is that if I connect the REL4 recognized
> HPlaserjet printer, I can print to the laserjet on the fedora 6 machine
> through this server.  I would like to print directly from the windows xp
> box.

I still haven't figured the reason this change occurred but you need to
adjust the line over to (note the change of /usr over to /var):

path = /var/spool/samba

> 3.  I can see the shared directories on the fedora 6 computer from the
> windows computer in my workgroup computers, and open the samba fedora
> computer, but not open a share.  AGain, permisson denied.
>
> Everything is set to the minimal for the shares on the Fedora 6 and the
> RHEL 4 computers
> ie
> [homeshare]
> path=/home/homeshare
> writeable = yes
> guest ok = yes
> browseable = yes
>
> workgroup = home
>
> [printers]
> comment = All Printers
> path = /usr/spool/samba
> printable = yes
> printer name = HPLaserjet1100
> ;use client driver = yes
> browseable = no
> ;printer admin = root
> writeable = no
>

> I have tried all kinds of configurations and get access denied messages
> in my logs.  I appreciate any help.
>
> thank you
> Joe

HTH,