Re: Nvdia module

* Claude Jones [06/03/07 16:22]:
> On Tue March 6 2007, Alessandro Brezzi wrote:
> > > Is there any way that I can fix this once and for all? It's really
> > > anoying to arrive one morning to your office with a lot of things to
> > > do and find out that you can't start your desktop and spend all
> > > morning reinstalling the driver from a text console...
> >
> > Yes! Do not update the Kernel automatically; wait until the livna RPM
> > for the corresponding Kernel Module is released, normally one or two
> > days.
>
> There's a better way, in my opinion. Install the DKMS package from
> FreshRPM's - it runs a script during boot and detects whether the kernel and
> kernel module are in sync - if not, it builds a new kernel module dynamically

I find that this is quite dangerous as if it fails you are left with a
text console where you have to figure out how to build and reinstall
the nvidia module. No problem with the text console, it's just that
it's helpful to be able to access a browser to google around for some
help if anything goes wrong.

Is there any way to built and test the DKMS and resulting compiled
nvdia module before letting it do its magic at bootup?

--
Walter Garcia-Fontes
Barcelona