Re: file recovery program?

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> Morgan Read wrote:
>> Vivek J. Patankar wrote:
>>> I have a good experience recovering files from an almost dead IDE disk
>>> using R-Tools' R-Linux data recovery tool. It is free (commercially, not
>>> opensource) MS Windows utility.
>>>
>>> http://www.data-recovery-software.net/Linux_Recovery.shtml
>>>
>>> I managed to recover almost all of the content that I wanted to restore.
>>>
>> What about on ext3?
>> M.
>>

> As long as it was properly unmounted, you can treat it as an ext2
> file system. A ext3 file system is an ext2 file system with
> journaling enabled.

Please correct me if I'm wrong...
But, I understood that ext3 journalling cleared references in inodes to
deleted files (or parts thereof) to prevent some sort of corruption on
remounting on reboot - so, unlike ext2, although the info's on the disk
there's no way to find it because the references are all gone - if your
lucky and some of your files are in one place, you might find them by
searching though the media for common file identifiers, but otherwise
they're history.

As you can tell from my description I'm no expert, so please jump in and
correct me if I'm wrong - I'd eagerly like to know for the next time I'm
imprudent with the 'rm' command...  (As I have been before...)

M.
--
Morgan Read
NEW ZEALAND

fedora: Freedom Forever!
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Overview

"By choosing not to ship any proprietary or binary drivers, Fedora does
differ from other distributions. ..."
Quote: Max Spevik
       http://interviews.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/08/17/177220

RMS on Fedora: