Re: Sun T1000/T2000 & Fedora/RedHat Linux

On 3/3/07, Aly Dharshi <aly.dharshi@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hello Folks,

        I hope that you are well. Recently looking at Sun's site under Linux
servers and was surprised to see that the T1000/T2000 was listed. Turns
out that Ubuntu and Gentoo have a version of their distros for this
(http://www.ubuntu.com/sun). Sun seems to have certified them for us.
Canonical will provide support (commercial) for these systems too.

Those systems use the Sparc CPU architecture which is not compatible with x86.

        Is there something in the works for Fedora ?

 Look for "Aurora Linux" which is the closest you can come to Fedora on Sparc at the moment.

Would the Ubuntu work in this area benefit the Fedora folks ?

Of course. They use the same code-base, so any improvements will be shared.

Will RHAS version X support this at a later date (not to distant future) ?

That's for RH to decide. I wouldn't count on it to happen soon.
There seems to be a port of CentOS for Sparc though...

Klaasjan