Re: mail program for FC6

> It is more a matter of functionality than opinion.  Much of my email
> contains non-text parts that mutt wouldn't handle.  And I find the
> ability to drag messages among folders on different accounts on
> different machines to be much more convenient than whatever method you
> might use in mutt to accomplish that (I haven't used mutt over imap so
> I'm not sure it is even possible).

You can handle non-text/plain parts in mutt. I don't have any of that turned
on automatically, and typically just save any parts that I want to do stuff
with later. But you can trigger executing an external viewer in mutt.
I believe this is a lot safer than reading data that can be sent to you
unsolicited in a program using X that will fire up plugins without user
intervention.

> Thunderbird, evolution, kmail, outlook, apple mail, etc. are all pretty
> feature-complete.  Thunderbird has the advantage of running on most
> common platforms so you can use it from about anywhere accessing the
> same accounts if you work on different machines and it will look/work
> about the same.   Do you have an example of a mutt-exclusive feature?

I doubt anything is mutt exclusive. It does have some nice features like being
able to tag sets of messages and then apply commands to every message in the
set.

> Running imap over ssl provides the same security, although some places

mutt can handle imap and pop folders.

> may not have it available everywhere ssh is permitted.  You can also
> port-forward through ssh/putty, but that is a little more cumbersome.
> But, if you ever send files from your local machine as email attachments
> through your mutt account you must already be dealing with some
> inconvenience.

If I want to send an attachment from a different machine than the one I am
running mutt on, I'll scp it over. I would have the option to run mutt
locally and adjust the headers before sending as well. (I don't read
email on other people's machines and hence mutt will be installed.)