Re: DMA on optical drive

Michael Klinosky wrote:
> I've been trying to trobleshoot a problem with optical disk drives on 3
> computers (all FC6, all different brands of drives) - they won't burn
> CDs. Actually, I had this with FC5 and SUSE 10.0 also.
>
> With a bit of research (on bugzilla), I have the notion that it might be
> due to DMA.
>
> How do I turn off DMA to a particular drive?
>
> Is there a possibility that the drives can't do DMA? Or that they need
> to be configured?

More information about your hardware would help. I know there is a
problem with some SATA controllers that also the PATA controller for
the optical drive. There are a couple of work-arounds. On my laptop,
I added hcd=noprobe to fix it. That way, the DVD ends up treated as
a SCSI drive, and DMA is enabled.

If that is not the problem, you may be able to use hdparm to turn on
DMA. (It should have been turned on in the BIOS...)

Mikkel