Re: fglrx question

On 3/1/07, Claude Jones <claude_jones@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Thu March 1 2007 10:31:13 am Jonathan Berry wrote:
> > Currently, at home, I'm experiencing a big system barf. If I
> > try to run GLXgears, the screen blacks out and after a few
> > moments, it returns me to a log-in screen. Can't give any
> > time to this this am because I have to go to an
>
> That means X is crashing. Probably a driver issue. Are you
> using the nVidia installer, or a packaged driver? If the
> former, have you done any X updates lately?

Well, yes, X is crashing - I do know that, but, I haven't been
able to figure out why. I did spend some considerable time on
the NV forum the night before last, trying to sort it out, but,
I'm at the point of having to turn on some logging and let folks
look at results, and I haven't had time to get to that yet.

Okay.  Well, what has changed from when it was working?

> > appointment. The figures I cited were from my work machine
> > which is a 2.66 GHz P4, if I'm not mistaken - I'll
> > double-check that when I get in. This machine is a dual-core
> > 2.66 MHz w/ 2 GB ram.
>
> That explains the difference in FPS values :-).

How so? My slower machine is getting 3X faster fps values than my
dual-core with twice the ram...

Obviously I am confused... What machine produced what FPS values?

To Gene: This machine (I'm at work, now), is a 2.8 GHz P4 with 1
GB of ram. GLXgears just produced this:

glxgears
21379 frames in 5.0 seconds = 4275.750 FPS
30310 frames in 5.0 seconds = 6061.993 FPS
30308 frames in 5.0 seconds = 6061.511 FPS
30308 frames in 5.0 seconds = 6061.598 FPS
30152 frames in 5.0 seconds = 6030.331 FPS

Pretty good. This is with an NVidia GForce 5500, 256 mb ram, AGP
8X card

That is pretty good.  Especially for a 5500.  But I don't see any
numbers that are a third of this.  Where are the numbers from your
dual-core system?  I see some comparable to these and one set that is
in the mid-400 FPS.

Jonathan