No audio in with FC6 and Intel ICH5 chip

Hi all,

I can't seem to get audio-in working. Audio out is fine. Also, the
microphone isn't working.
Motherboard: MSI-clone (Medion MD8088) with onboard audio.
Card: Intel ICH5 (onboard)
Chip: C-Media Electronics CMI9780
The tests I did so far:
I read the topic a few months ago about skype. This helped some, but not
enough.
So I did:
Looked at alsamixer settings and verified that a REC symbol is at the
microphone.
Run KRec and audacity and in both recorded from microphone. Weird is that
both applications depend on OSS instead of ALSA. Don't know if and how to
change that. Resulting sound is silence. Changing the sampling rate
results in squeeking noise for 48k, silence for 44k.
So I Booted Knoppix 5 and ran KRec again. Result: Recorded microphone
sound is mixed with squeeking noise when playing back. Changing the
sampling from 44k (silence) to 48k results in the same squeeking noise but
now mixed with the bird noises I made in the mike.

Does anyone have a good source for getting this right?
Or should I install a soundblaster or some other mainstream sound card?

Thanks,
Jeroen.