Re: Update FC5->FC6

> Peter Lauri wrote:
>> I tried to upgrade to FC6, but I am getting some errors. This is how I
>> do
>> it:
> <snip yum upgrade>
>> I am a real newbie and worried that I will screw up something. Can you
>> please direct me into a "safe" direction? :-(
>
> The documented and most tested way of upgrading Fedora is to boot from
> whichever install media you prefer (CD, DVD, USB disk with an ISO image
> on disk) and select that you want to upgrade your Fedora install, not
> over-write it. This would have got you around your current issue.
>
> In any case you should back up all important data before trying this.
>
> Many here will recommend that instead you back up all important data
> twice and re-install from scratch. This will give you a cleaner install,
> but will mean that you have to remake any customisations. If you try
> this, you should definitely keep a copy of everything under /etc so you
> can check how the system has configured.
>
> In practice, if you've installed a lot of non-Fedora programs, this
> might be a good idea. If your system is basically a Fedora install, it
> shouldn't be necessary.
>
> (In this case, it looks like you've still got old kernels involved. If
> you must go ahead with a yum upgrade, boot to a 2.6.18 or 2.6.19 kernel,
> run
> rpm -q kernel
> to see which kernels you have installed, and then
> rpm -e kernel-2.6.15.whatever.rpm
> for each kernel earlier than 2.6.18.)
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> James.
>
> --
> E-mail:     james@ | It was amazing how human traits and affairs could so
> aprilcottage.co.uk | reliably and continuously be guided by a succession
> of
>                    | big white balls of plasma billions of miles away,
> most of
>                    | whom have never even heard of humanity.
>                    |     -- "The Last Continent", Terry Pratchett
>
> --

Hi,

Some additional notes. I did this upgrade described above.
This lead to a number of fc5 rpms still on the system. All fc5 rpms were
coming from the livna or other repository. After an additional 'yum
update' everything was fine again.
To see if you still have 'old' rpms type 'rpm -qa |grep fc5' (without the
quotes of course)

Regards,
Jeroen.