Re: Plea for upgrade capability

don vogt wrote:
Background:
 I started with Linux with slackware downloaded on 14
(?) floppy disks by ftp from MIT. I changed to Redhat
and then dropped off Linux to do genealogy for a
couple of years. (now we have GRAMPS and maybe I
wouldn't leave Linux today) When I came back, I
started again with Core 4. I was quite happy with that
until Legacy went belly up. All I really wanted for
updates was security updates. I am just a desktop user
so my needs should be relatively small. I did a yum
upgrade to core5 with few problems, apparently caused
by mismatches in repos for xine.
 It seems to me that if one could do a realible
upgrade the loss of Legacy wouldn't hurt so much and
fedora would be more useful to at least the desktop
users, if not the administrators.
 I admit that I don't really understand what problems
I am asking to be solved. It might help ESR's problems
too.

There is some infrastructure like the new updated system being written which would solve some of the usual update issues. There also has been some consensus on "supporting" folks installing the last test version of Fedora 7 and updating to the general release using yum.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/FeatureUpdateSystem

It wont however solve ESR's problem since he rm'ed a critical library while running the development version of Fedora.

Rahul