Re: Installing synce from tarballs: where to install?

On 22/02/07, Mikkel L. Ellertson <mikkel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
The /usr/local tree normally comes with a bunch of directories
created, but empty. If you have files in these directories, you may
want to run "rpm -qf <file name>" to see if they are from an RPM.
Chances are, they are from non-RPM installs.

You will also find that most packages will default to installing in
the /usr/local tree. /usr/local/bin is usualy included in users
path, and both /usr/local/bin and /usr/local/sbin are in root's
path. I don't remember if /usr/local/lib is in ld.so's search path,
so you may need to add it. Any libraries you install in the /opt
tree will have to be added. (/etc/ld.so.conf.d)

Mikkel

I don't mind adding /opt and /opt/bin to my path. One question,
though. If I have foo-0.8 (for example) installed and package bar want
foo-0.7, how can I set it up so that only bar will use foo-0.7. I'd
leave the system's foo-0.8 as it is, and unpack the foo-0.7 tarball
into /opt. Then, I'd install bar, but how do I tell bar to use the foo
in /opt?

While this is a purely hypothetical situation at the moment, I'm
interested as I've had problems of this sort in the past. I'm trying
to learn _before_ I find myself stuck.

Dotan Cohen

http://technology-sleuth.com/long_answer/how_much_memory_will_i_need_for_my_digital_camera.html
http://liriks-song.com