Re: RPM is the hero, not the villan

Tom Horsley wrote:
On Wed, 21 Feb 2007 16:53:11 -0800
John Wendel <john.wendel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

And I have a broken Ubuntu 6.10 box that was caused by updating from a non-ubuntu repository. They all suck! It must be a hard problem.

I have often considered trying gentoo to see if building my own damn
libs and programs from source would operate better, but I have the feeling
that would just push the problem out to more esoteric kinds of
dependency issues like new compilers refusing to build old source.

Yeah: I think a lot of rpm-blaming goes on because it is the guy telling you the bad news. But if there is bad news, it existed without rpm, was not caused by rpm, it is in the tarballs the stuff was built from anyway. Maybe they sorted it now but the current inkscape release as of last week can't be made for FC6, at least I couldn't make it, and extras had the previous release, due to various dependencies on packages I spent an evening trying to build from source.

Over time I found that rpm was in fact increasing the amount of sanity with the packages, even when it tells me what I don't want to hear, because at least it formalized and captured the messy interrelationships that in fact already existed. If rpm tells you there is a problem with what you are trying to do to libcom_err before it went ahead and trashed it, that's something to be grateful to rpm for, for giving you an opportunity to not do the breakage by warning you that you are leaving the path of sanity, not somehow blaming it for generating the situation.

-Andy