Re: Charset config of apache 2.x

On Thu, 2007-02-22 at 07:56 +0800, edwardspl@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> I just re-config the following :
>
> # AddDefaultCharset UTF-8
> AddDefaultCharset Off
>
> Then restart web service.
>
> It seem okay now...

According to the specs, you really do need to declare what character
encoding has been used in your files, especially if it's something other
than US-ASCII or ISO-8859-1 (the latter being the old default for when
no specific charset encoding was sent).  And it really should be done in
the HTTP headers rather than in any HTML files, and it certainly can't
be done inside plain text files.

If you don't provide any charset encoding details to the web browser,
some will play guessing games as to what they should use, and make
mistakes.  I see that often.  This is information that the webmaster
should be providing so that websites "just work" for all that try to use
them, without requiring the visitor to make any adjustments.

Something else just occured to me about your problem with adding big5
not being noticed:  Is it meant to be big-5, big5, or Big5?

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.