Re: replacing files via rpm

Thomas Widhalm wrote:
* I could simply create a rpm which contains the new files
Pro: simple
Con: get's overwritten each time the package containing the original
files gets updated

I'm a complete idiot when it comes to understanding rpm or spec files, but I don't think this is quite right.

As I understand things, if your custom rpm replaces files owned by other rpms, and later those rpms are updated, rpm will detect that you have modifed the file and your custom files will either be a) saved as "foo.rpmsave" or b) preserved with the file from the updated rpm renamed to "foo.rpmnew".

I could be wrong though--maybe this only happens for files marked as "config" files. If so, you can design your packages to install the files under /usr/local and then modify the configs to use that instead of /usr, and then only the config files will have a conflict.

In any case, the update will not overwrite your files unless you specifically tell it to.

Since you have a file conflict by definition here, I think it's correct for _you_ to have to make a conscious decision about how to resolve each conflict. There's no way for rpm to guess what your priorities are.

<Joe