Re: New install of FC6, httpd won't start at boot

On Saturday 16 December 2006, Tim wrote:
>linuxmaillists@xxxxxxxxxxx:
>>> httpd fails at boot with no message as to why it failed.
>>>
>>> I run
>>>
>>> ]# service httpd start
>>>
>>> and get
>>>
>>> Starting httpd: httpd: Syntax error on line 170
>>> of /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf: Cannot
>>> load /etc/httpd/modules/mod_access.so into
>>> server: /etc/httpd/modules/mod_access.so: cannot open
>>> shared object file: No such file or directory
>
>Not here.  Works fine, as installed.  Though I've run the yum updater
>since the initial installation, and never modified this installations
>httpd.conf file.  My line 170 is not mod_access.so.
>
>Have you run "yum update", or updated in another way, since
>installation?

I hate to wake up this old thread again, but I also have this problem and
a search of my list archive doesn't seem to indicate a solution being
offered.

This was an install on a fresh disk when I installed FC6 in November 2006.
httpd has never been able to start, but with vz blocking port 80, I didn't
see it as being something to worry about.  Last night vz assured me they
are not blocking any ports, so I thought I'd set up a server so I could
call them a liar.

I've used smart to remove httpd and the mod_friends, including the
service-config-http utility, and then re-install them.  After the
re-install I had to run the system-config-http utility else it couldn't
bind to address 0.0.0.0:80, and after I had allowed system-config-http to
overwrite the conf file, then I got the above error. Looking
at /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf with vim, I found a bunch of blank line
trash at the start of the file, that when removed, reset the error
address above to line 156, but it is still the same error.

This is what was re-installed by smart:
[root@coyote conf]# rpm -qa |grep http
httpd-2.2.3-5
jakarta-commons-httpclient-3.0-7jpp.1
system-config-httpd-1.3.3-1.1.1
httpd-manual-2.2.3-5

No idea where that jakarta stuff came from, but the grep caught it.

What has been the resolution to this problem for FC5-6?

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)