Re: [Fedora] Sendmail's 2GiB limit?

Ashley M. Kirchner wrote:
>    That was easier said than done.  Once I recompiled sysklogd and
> installed the new binary, restarted and all that jazz, when I tried to
> start sendmail back up (with the >2 GiB file in place) I got this:
>
>    > service sendmail start
>    Starting sendmail: 451 4.0.0 cannot open /var/log/sm-mta: File too large
>

>    If I'm not mistaken, those error codes are sendmail's.  *sigh*
>
>    Now I have to write another script just to work in conjunction with
> logrotate and rotate twice a month.  At the end of the month, take both
> files and cat them together and then zip it up.  This is just stupid in
> my opinion.

Well, the problem has more to do with how libc is written, and with
the default size of things like int in C on a 32 bit machine. It is
not an easy fix. I leave it to someone else to explain the
performance hit you would take trying to change it everywhere.

Now, as far as getting logrotate to rotate the mail logs more often,
you remove /var/log/maillog from /etc/logrotate.d/syslog and create
your own entry just for that log file. You may want to consider
rotating based on size, or rotate daily/weekly, and use the dateext
option to date when the logs were created. If you go this route,
don't forget to increase the rotate count in your maillog rule.

I used to have a call logging program that would rotate logs daily,
with month/day extension, and then a monthly backup that would
bundle the daily backups into a monthly archive, and remove the
daily logs. If you are going to archives the logs, it can be handy
to be able to grab the logs for a specific day. I know, you can use
grep to grab matching dates, but if the logs are large, then having
smaller files to work with can be handy.

Mikkel