Re: Who edits my ifcfg-eth0 ?

On Tue, 20 Feb 2007, John DeDourek wrote:

It seems that the way of the future is the network manager.  For
me, it will be essential that I have control.  I don't want
it to select the neighbor's network (or one of the alternate
networks here at work) when I am trying to analyze a specific
network.  Presumably network manager has (or will have) this
capability.  Otherwise we will either not use it, or hand craft
it to satisfy our requirements.

I don't think NM is intended to be the be-all and end-all of net configuration utilities. I run it on my laptops, where it is a boon and a blessing (mostly), but I have never run it on a workstation or server that lives plugged into a single wall socket.

Also, NM doesn't (shouldn't) connect willy-nilly to Wireless networks it's never been connected to before.