Re: Internet Connect of FC6..

On Mon, 2007-02-19 at 04:08 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Monday 19 February 2007, Ryan Li wrote:
> >Dear Fedora User Community,
> >
> >I feel like a total idiot by asking such a question but...
> >
> >I can't connect my Fedora Core 6 to an ADSL internet connection. There's
> > no problem using a Cable internet connection since I don't need to
> > enter a username or password,
> >but when I want to connect to the internet using ADSL, I must verify my
> >Username and Password.
> >In what menu can I go about doing this? Or how should I go about doing
> > this?
> >
> It is ONE of the places you'll need to set that up.  If you aren't using a
> router, then you'll need to go get PPPoE and install it, then setup
> iptables to do some NAT translation so you can use a private
> (192.168.x.x) address block and filter the net at the same time.  Its a
> bit more complex than that and not really coverable in one message, but
> ask as you proceed for better answers...

With the dsl modem I had from BellSouth, I used straight ethernet from
my machine to the modem, and there was a setup program in the modem
where all the username/password stuff was kept.

I used firefox and pointed it to 192.168.1.1 and the modem's menu popped
right up. I edited that with the numbers BellSouth gave me to install to
it, and since  I had a static ip I set the modem to "pass through" mode
so the modem just acted like a modem, instead of acting like a
firewall/router, passing through any service that I enabled to my static
ip address. Like Gene said, this is only one answer of many possible
ones. What kind of modem is it? Who made it? Dynamic or Static IP
address? Who is your provider? Do you have the manual for that modem?
Ric

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar
http://www.wayward4now.net