Re: Is my hard drive thrashed?

On Fri, 2007-02-16 at 15:14 -0700, Dan Hensley wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-02-16 at 17:59 +0000, tokyoi@xxxxxxx wrote:
> > Dan Hensley wrote:
> >
> > >[...] I ordered a new hard drive that should arrive tomorrow in case it's a
> > >hardware problem.  My motherboard or BIOS may also have something to do
> > >with it, but I'm not sure.  Right now my system is up and running
> > >because I built a boot floppy.  But I see another kernel update waiting
> > >to be installed.  I hesitate to download it because I don't know what
> > >kind of mess it will make with my system.
> > >

> > Say,
> >
> >   man yum
> >
> > and have a look at the exclude option -- if you're happy with a kernel
> > you can stop yum updating it until, say, a security issue makes updating
> > the kernel a good idea.
>
> I know how to exclude updates.  The point is that twice in the past
> month after doing updates GRUB has been thrashed on my boot disk so it
> won't boot.  And this time it was difficult to fix.
>
> I don't know if it's due to a hardware problem (hard drive?
> motherboard?) or due to yum, or rpm, or grub, or something else.  It
> seems that no one else knows.  But it's also apparent that I'm not the
> only one to have experienced this.  So it makes me suspect that it's a
> software problem.

I've been updating six FC6 machines (One Intel 32-bit, one AMD 32-bit,
two Athlon 64s, one Athlon 64/X2 and one Opteron 1210) since FC6 came
out and have never had a grub corruption issue.  I suspect hardware at
your end.

Your drive was questionable, as you found out.  You may have a bad RAM
stick (pop your sticks out, reseat them and run memtest86) or your power
supply may be getting weak (slap on a DMM and check it).  You'd be
amazed at how weird a machine can get if the power supply is dying.

- Rick Stevens, Senior Systems Engineer     rstevens@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx -
-         The Navy's a bunch of wimps!  MY job's an adventure!       -