Re: Help: serious VMware/XP problem under FC6 (Solved)

I wrote:
: My XP installation under VMware is running incredibly slowly.  The
: second hand on the XP "date and clock" is taking several seconds to
: move 1 secoond!
:
: Here's my installation, in brief:
: -- Fresh install of FC6 (respin DVD) on a clean Dell Precision M70 laptop.
: -- The machine has  the nVidia "Quadro FX Go1400" video processor in it.
: -- All FC6 updates as of yesterday (186 of them).
: -- 2.6.19.1-2911 kernel, and opensource "nv" driver
: -- Fresh install of VMwareWorkstation-5.5.3
:
: VMware itself comes up fine,
: but XP starts and runs _really_really_really_ slowly.
:
: Does anyone have a clue?  I am stumped.
:
: Dean
:
I found the problem.  It is an interaction (that I don't understand)
between Windows (or is it VMware itself?) and the sleep states of
the laptop and kernel.

The sledgehammer fix is "acpi=off" in the boot parms---not very
nice if you want to suspend your laptop.

The more elegant solution is:

echo 1 > /sys/module/processor/parameters/max_cstate

This is supposed to keep the kernel from leaving sleep state "C1".
I don't really understand this or what the implications are but
(as they say)

"It worked!"

This seems to be an all-too-common problem, as I learned by spending
a couple of hours reading on the VMware
list.  And its an old problem.  There are messages dating back to 2004
where people experience mysterious dog-slow operation of Windows under
VMware.

To see if you "have it" do  Control panel --> Date and Time
in Windows and watch the second hand of the clock. If it
is ticking once  every 10-30 wall seconds then this is evidently
the cause of your problem.

Here's a link to a long discussion  (spanning 1.5 years) of this:

<http://www.vmware.com/community/message.jspa?messageID=389920&tstart=50>

Many of the proposed solutions are worthless. DPlatt's remarks are
the helpful ones.  Read them

Dean