Re: Changing resolution on laptop

On Wed, 2007-02-14 at 08:11 +0200, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> On 14/02/07, Aaron Konstam <akonstam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > The refresh rates are determined by your monitor at different
> > resolutions and possible for different color depths (I am not sure
> about
> > the latter). To check it change the color depth from 24 to 16 and
> see
> > what happens. The way it fits on the screen (wider, longer, etc) are
> > done by controls on the monitor. I ma not sure where they are on a
> > laptop monitor though.
>
> I'm pretty sure that the computer can determine what refresh rate to
> send to the monitor. In Desktop Properties -> Display there is a field
> Refresh Rate, but it sits at 0 hz for the 1400x1050 resolution and 60
> hz for the 1024x768 resolution. On my desktop machine (currently
> kubuntu) I can choose between 60hz, 75 hz, and 85 hz for the 1024x768
> resolution.
Well I believe here we have a mixup in terms. Whenever I have looked at
the book that comes with a monitor it tells me what refresh rate the
monitor will use for each resolution it will accept.

Now it is true that you can set the refresh range rate the video card
will use in xorg.conf but you will still have the refresh rate the
monitor is set up to use. If the video card uses a refresh rate that the
monitor won't handle (in the old days you could damage the monitor) the
monitor will just not display the image. So in xorg.cong you are
supposed to choose a refresh range that is indicated in the monitor
manual.
--
Aaron Konstam <akonstam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>