Re: need to switch computers without losing data

Anne Wilson wrote:
On Tuesday 13 February 2007, Tom Poe wrote:
My daughter has a PIII with FC5 on it.  Troubleshooting flowchart
indicates power supply died.  We're going to the UMN recycle store, and
get a PIII or newer.  Can someone point me to the steps needed to take
the hard drive out of the dead computer, and put it in the new computer,
and not lose the data?  I'm thinking there might be issues with just
switching hard drive to another computer with different hardware
configuration.
Any help appreciated,

My advice would be to mount the drive from the dead computer as a second drive, then wipe the hard disk in the new computer and install FC6 on that. Put /home on a separate partition on that drive. All your data, settings, bookmarks, cookies etc. will be on the second drive and can be copied into the new /home.

The reason I suggest doing it this way, rather than just using the /home on the second drive, is that configuration files used in one version sometimes cause problems in the newer version. This way you have access to everything you had before, and can use it with the new setup.

Of course, you could always just put a new power supply in the existing computer.

Anne

Anne: the phrase, "wipe the hard disk" is the same as, "install FC6 install CD, and select 'New Install'"?
Tom