Re: How to SMTP (Email) Server Fedora 6?

> It is useless for any reasonable use of email - unless you only enjoy
> talking to yourself.  And it is particularly bizarre that this

99.lots % of people only need internal email for daemons etc so a long
time ago (Red Hat 5 or so I think) it was decided that since sendmail had
such a godawful security history that it would be a lot safer if our mail
daemon simply didn't listen to the outside world by default.

Since then a lot has happened - sendmail has a much better security
behaviour on the whole, firewalling can cover the port instead, and GUI
tools have appeared.

> grunge work.  Someone doesn't want your mail to work.  Or they want to
> make sendmail look difficult to configure.

Well it could all be a plot by terrorists to cripple the US economy, and
they might be hiding under your bed, but as in almost every case in the
real world its simply a rational decision whose shelf-life has expired.

There has been some very sensible discussion about shipping one of the
minimal mail daemons by default instead, and failing that since the
firewall tools cover port 25 control there is a good argument for
relaxing the mail daemon default paranoia a little.

File a bug, discuss it with the maintainer, write a GUI control tool...

Alan