New old iPAQ question(s)

Greetings everybody;

I bought an iPAQ 3850 for the missus to keep track of her bowling scores
etc, and I'm having a hell of a time trying to talk to it.

Fedora Core 6, up2date.  Kernel 2.6.20, modules for ppp and ipaq built and
installed & modprobed.

A couple of pl2303 cables are in use here, and the one hooked to the
iPAQ's serial cable is /dev/ttyUSB0, at least for this reboot, who knows
where it will be on the next one? :-)

Following the directions at

<http://synce.sourceforge.net/synce/kde/synce-kde-basic-configuration.php>

I have some diffs in the log messages, some I think caused by there being
two of these pl2303 cables in use here.

I have succeeded in getting the iPAQ to chime at me and claim it is
connected, but it times out in about a minute and disconnects.

I can't seem to find a copy of "vdccm", but do have "dccm", which must be
run as a user, not root.  And when its run, its totally mute, not
displaying the hex dump shown on the above page.  I assume thats a major
problem, how is that to be fixed?

Where can I find a copy of this 'vdccm' thing?  And whats the difference
between it and dccm?

So I thought I might have enough to talk to it installed, but when I get
to that part of the above tutorial where it demos the connection using
konqeror via the 'rapip:' protocol, then both konqi and FF report that
they have no knowledge of the rapip protocol.

Does anyone have a clue where I might have made a wrong turn other than to
confirm that I was out of my mind when I bought this thing?

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)