Re: a humble request

on 02/10/2007 06:54 PM Globe Trotter wrote:
--- Paulo Cavalcanti <promac@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 2/10/07, Globe Trotter <itsme_410@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
please bring back automatic editing of /etc/fstab with a mount of
removable
media. is there any particular reason why it is better to have it removed?
life
has been too complicated ever since....

Sorry, but this is not going to change. We have to adapt.
The main difference is that one will never know, in advance,
where something is going to be mounted
/media/....

But a well written python script can even find out this for you.

Can someone please find this out then? The problem with a moving target is that
programs that actually do something can not be written to read data from a
disk.

Are Ubuntu, etc also going the same way?

The reason? Is it not easier for an end user, who has no idea what fstab is?

Can we not have both? Linux is for the end user but also for the advanced user,
I hope!

I do not believe that many an end user is going to use Linux. Sadly, the fear
factor is too high. This is what MS lives off..... Besides what are

the main advantage was that even if you turn off the automatic mounting of removable media the mounting points were created in the /media right after your SD_card/USB_stick/UMS_flashplayer was inserted. So I was able to open a terminal (using a predefined hotkey), mount the media, copy stuff, and unmount the media without touching the mouse. Now I feel like handicap, because Nautilus is made for people with only one finger glued to the mouse, and I don't know any other to mount/unmount the media...

So I completely agree that life in linux is getting tougher and tougher for advanced user...

--
regards,
Oleksandr Korneta

/The nice thing about standards is that there are so many to choose from./