Re: OT: can antennas for wireless Internet cause damage to health?

On Saturday 10 February 2007 15:27, Alan wrote:
>> In the building where I live, the building administration is intending
>> to install at its top an antenna for irradiating the signal for
>> wireless Internet users. Can those antennas interfere with the health
>> of the people living in the building?
>
>If you climb onto the roof and eat it, then it might be bad for you.

Don't forget the possibility of a fall, and that generally is bad for ones
health too.

>If you wanted a more serious answer then try a more relevant list. Some
>keywords that might help you are "ERP", "SAR", "NCRPM" and "FCC"
>
>Alan

More seriously and practical, the answer is no.  To do the math, I believe
the current suggested radiation level maximums for continuous exposure at
in the range of 1 milli-watt per cubic centimeter of absorbed radiation.
With TPO power levels under a watt, well under a watt in most cases, one
would almost have to stick the antenna in your ear or mouth to exceed
this by a sufficient margin as to be cause for a health concern,
particularly given the relatively short period one could tolerate it, and
then I'd be more worried about the cleanliness of the antenna if I was to
use it for a toothpick than about any radiation concerns.  Using your
cellphone is a far larger risk in general.

>From a foot away, its 100% safe, from 3 floors away you'll die of old age
like I intend to.  I'm a broadcast engineer for the last 45 years, and
still doing it.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)