Re: SD card reader (Winbond)

> > Is this a built in SD card reader on a laptop or some kind of external
> > reader with say a USB interface?  I very recently researched getting the
> > SD card reader on my laptop to read SD cards under Linux (of any flavor)
> > and found out that the interface specification for SD is "encumbered"
> > (patents, copyright) in such a way that it is doubtful that an open
> > source Linux driver can be legally provided.  Things may have changed or
> > I could have missed something but that's what I found.

Hmmn, that doesn't sound right to me.  Though I am not using a laptop.

>   A USB device
> > should hide such details from Linux and just present a mass storage
> > interface.

That is how I use mine, as a usb storage device.

I've used several kinds and they all mounted as usb storage. (internal
on a desktop)  External connected via usb so of course was usb storage.

Heck even miniSD works fine out of the box on FC6.  I've had it working
since RH9 I believe.

What do you see in dmesg?  I know you said nothing when you inserted the
card but even empty mine show something.  try dmesg | grep usb

Shawn