Re: SD card reader (Winbond)

David G. Miller wrote:
> Fernando Apesteguía wrote:
>> Hello people!
>>
>> I'm using FC 6 with 2.6.19-1.2895.fc6 kernel. I'm trying to use my
>> card reader. First of all, some information:
>>
>>   <-------------------[ SNIP ]------------------------>
>

>> But when I insert the card, nothing happens (accordint to dmesg). I
>> read once that maybe some setpci stuff is needed but I don't know
>> exactly what to do... man setpci is not very helpful.

I do not know what it would be for the Winbond chip set. I know the
commands for the TI chipset, but they are not going to be the same.

>> Thanks in advance
> Is this a built in SD card reader on a laptop or some kind of external
> reader with say a USB interface?  I very recently researched getting the
> SD card reader on my laptop to read SD cards under Linux (of any flavor)
> and found out that the interface specification for SD is "encumbered"
> (patents, copyright) in such a way that it is doubtful that an open
> source Linux driver can be legally provided.  Things may have changed or
> I could have missed something but that's what I found.  A USB device
> should hide such details from Linux and just present a mass storage
> interface.
>
> Cheers,
> Dave

I think thing have changed, because I can use the SD reader in my
laptop that used the TI chipset. I did have to run a command on
startup that would turn off the Multi-Media reader, and turn on the
SD reader, but I am not sure if that is still necessary.

Mikkel