automatically load lirc kernel module

On FC4 whenever I started lircd the kernel module was loaded
automatically. On FC6 I have to load it manually before starting
lircrd. If I do so , then lirc works as expected. Is there a way to
get the module to load automatically under FC6? Most likely there's
something I've forgotten to set, but after a morning's googling I've
not worked out what is is.

My modprobe.conf looks like this on both FC4 and FC6.

alias char-major-61 lirc_serial
options lirc_serial irq=4 io=0x3f8
install lirc_serial /bin/setserial /dev/ttyS0 uart none ;
/sbin/modprobe --ignore-install lirc_serial

(that last should all be on one line)

Thanks,

Chris