Re: does FC6 support smp hardware arhitecture?

Mark Knoop 写道:
On 07/02/07, Gilboa Davara <gilboad@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wed, 2007-02-07 at 15:57 +0800, "欧可祺(Ho-Ki Au)" wrote:
> Can FC6 take advantage of multiple cpu's?

Yes.
As far as I remember, fedora-smp-kernel is configured to support <= 32
cores.

> Do I need a special version of the kernel?

In x86_64 all kernels are SMP.
In i386  - Anaconda (the installer) will select the SMP kernel for you.

Actually the i386 kernels are all SMP also.

<release notes>

Default Kernel Provides SMP

There is no separate SMP kernel available for Fedora Core 6 on i386,
x86_64 and ppc64. Multiprocessor support is provided by the native
kernel.

PowerPC Kernel Support

There is no support for Xen or kdump for the PowerPC architecture in
Fedora Core 6 test3. 32-bit PowerPC does still have a separate SMP
kernel.

</release notes>

However you may want to use the PAE kernel for "32-bit x86 systems
with > 4GB of RAM, or with CPUs that have a 'NX (No eXecute)' feature"
(such as Intel Core2 Duo etc.) I'm not sure that anaconda installs
this automatically...?
thanks.  all information's useful.
is there a place where the maximum and minimum hardware configurations for FC6 are documented? what i'm really drive at is i want to know how many cpu's, 64 bit or 32 bit, how much memory, i can configure for my system. is there any benchmark figures which shows how performance scales with more hardware on FC6?

--
-hoki