Re: yum-updatesd is totally broken

On Wed, 2007-02-07 at 12:49 +1100, Danny Yee wrote:
> Kevin H. Hobbs wrote:
> > yum-updatesd is definitely leaking memory. I restarted it on Thursday
> > and now it's up to 917 MB.
>
> I have not yet been able to get yum-updatesd to work at all, ever,
> on any one of the half dozen or more FC6 machines I look after.
> And whenever I look at a Fedora Core 6 system set up by someone else,
> I find it's not working there either.
>
> This could be because I'm at a uni where web access goes through
> a proxy, but I've never had any problems getting plain yum to work
> through that.
>
> So far I've been disabling yum-updatesd and replicating the old cron
> entry from FC5.  But there are plenty of FC6 users around here who
> don't know how to do this and don't even realise they're running
> without updates...
----
hmmm...seems to work for me

# cat /etc/yum/yum-updatesd.conf
[main]
# how often to check for new updates (in seconds)
run_interval = 3600
# how often to allow checking on request (in seconds)
updaterefresh = 600

# how to send notifications (valid: dbus, email, syslog)
emit_via = syslog

# automatically install updates
do_update = yes
# automatically download updates
do_download = yes
# automatically download deps of updates
do_download_deps = yes

and I see that the kernel was automatically updated on January 19th
-rw------- 1 root root 1528174 Jan 19 09:18 initrd-2.6.19-1.2895.fc6.img

and another sample...
# rpm -q file
file-4.19-1.fc6

which was released on February 2 and I assure you that I haven't
commanded it 'yum update' in any way other than yum-updatesd

I do notice that a cups update came out today that hasn't been installed
as of yet but I will monitor for it.

I also note though that the 'emit_via = syslog' doesn't seem to emit to
syslog - at least as far as I can tell and I haven't bothered tracking
that down yet.

Craig