Re: Howto update patches without Internet connection

none none wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I have a red hat AS 4 machine that is cut off from the internet for
> security reasons.  I am not able to do the usual "up2date" because of
> that.  Does anyone know how to update the patches without Internet
> connection?
>
> thanks,
> donald.

Brute force approach - download all the update RPMs on a machine
connected to the Internet, burn them to a CD, and mount the CD on
the Red Hat machine. As root, change to the CD, and run
"rpm -Fvh *.rpm". This will installed RPMs, but not install new RPMs
the way "rpm -Uvh *.rpm" would. It does have a problem if packages
get split into two RPMs, or depends on a package the old one didn't.

Mikkel