Re: FC6 not connecting -- Big-Hammered, sort of

On Mon, 2007-02-05 at 21:41 +0000, Beartooth wrote:
> But I was wrong yet again about how to set up the dual boot -- it's
> trying to use rootnoverify in /etc/grub.conf, which doesn't work; and
> I shudder at trying once more to gnaw my way through the available
> grub instructions to dope out precisely enough how to make the FC
> entry look enough like the CentOS entries.

For information's sake, this is one my FC6 GRUB stanzas:

title Fedora Core (2.6.18-1.2257.fc5)
        root (hd0,0)
        kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.18-1.2257.fc5 ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb quiet
        initrd /initrd-2.6.18-1.2257.fc5.img

The (hd0,0) has to be set for where your /boot partition is, the root=
bit for where your system / is, which may be an ordinary partition or a
volume group, and hte version numbers have to suit what you've
installed.

I avoid volume groups, they're too hard to fix when they go wrong, and
aren't of any use when you've got a box that can only have one HDD
inserted into them.

> Any hints on a sure way to install either of these OSs after the
> other? I suspect, it'll be a lot easier to re-do the install --
> especially now, before I get any data on that drive -- or even tweak
> my workspace.

You can install Fedora, but *not* install GRUB to the MBR, just into its
own partitions.  That'll leave prior installs alone, and you could copy
and paste its grub file stanzas to the prior installs ones.  That's just
one way of managing it.

I read messages from the public lists.