Re: Webcams again

On Mon, 2007-02-05 at 18:31 +0000, Anne Wilson wrote:

> I'm not disputing anything of what you've said, Tim, but there must
> also be something relevant in the way that an application handles the
> data.  My webcam can produce quite acceptable colours in ekiga, but in
> amsn everything has a blue/purple tint.  Since the only thing that is
> not common to the two situations is the application, it has to be
> there that there is a problem.  That's why I wanted to find some way
> of changing the balance.

Hue/tinting as I described was a composite video adjustment, to acheive
similar effects for other camera types, you'd need the software to
provide you with the appropriate controls.  It looks like they don't.

Often webcams will do some sort of automatic white balance.  You can see
some of them flicking back and forth between presets when images are out
of range, or when they get confused by coloured scenery.  :-(

You could always try the photographic approach:  Try putting some yellow
cellophane over the lens.   ;-)

I read messages from the public lists.