Re: Switching to KDM with FC6

On February 5, 2007, Mark Fraser wrote:
> I tried to completely move over to KDM at the weekend - I think I was just
> running KDE on top of GDM previously - by following the instructions on
> this website (http://fedoranews.org/cms/node/1446).
>
> I think I've got most of it sorted, however, I'm still showing the default
> log in screen instead of the KDE one and the Login Manager is still the
> gnome one.
>
> Can someone assist me in the final steps?
>
> Many thanks.

I don't think you need wait until the weekend to log in via KDM. It will take
you under 5 minutes. Just make sure you have kde installed, so do a yum
whatever is required. Basically, get all of the kde packages and the language
modules you want (for english only, you don't need any) and you're done.

The only actual work is the following. Into /etc/sysconfig/desktop you put
these lines:

DESKTOP="KDE"
DISPLAYMANAGER="KDE"

That's it!

You can update to Rex' kde on the weekend. It seems to update seamlessly.

--
Peter Gückel