Re: bugzilla advice.

On 2/5/07, Aaron Konstam <akonstam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I have been roundly scolded for not using bugzilla so let me illustrate
my current problem with this technique.

1. Currently on my FC6 machine gnome-cd crashes with a segmentation
fault when run. No errors are placed in log/messages.. Exactly what
information can I send to bugzilla to allow this to be debugged. On the
other hand grip refuses to admit that the CD is available even though
its icon appears on the desktop. Again no error messages appear except
that the grip window shows nothing to play, so what bugzilla information
would be helpful.

2. Similarly with the system not recognizing my sound card. What
information would help anyone figure out what is happening. I could send
information on my sound card. But it is an old one that no one at Red
Hat probably has any access to. Now here is the funny thing . When the
system boots early in the boot process the card is recognized. But that
is the last time the system admits that the card is present. Would that
fact be important to identifying the problem.

I am not trying to be difficult but I really would like to know how
other people approach bugzilla reporting on these issues.
--

Here's my approach:

1. Do a Bugzilla search. Do not get too detailed in the search terms.
Bugzilla search really needs improvement. (To paraphrase "Magic School
Bus": "Don't be afraid to make mistakes."  If you do not find a match
submit a report. (Don't worry about duplicates. Search needs work!)

2. Check the FAQ of the group providing drivers, e.g. for sound ALSA.
and this mailing list.

3. If the problem/fix involves build configuration options get the
source code and build your own custom kernel/package. (That's what I
did for my old ISA sound cards when ALSA drivers for them were not
available.)

Aaron Konstam <akonstam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>