RE: Need to give a presentation on the benefits of Linux

On Sat, 2007-02-03 at 12:09 -0500, Arch Willingham wrote:

> I'm sure somebody can step up and help me, but I can't think of any
> negatives about using FOSS stuff.

Documentation can be spotty as heck. But that can be a universal problem
when coders are called upon to become doc writers. A good doc-writer is
not necessarily a good coder, and visa-versa. They are two separate
skills.

User interfaces can be cryptic, but that is a Universal problem as well.
But, Linux has its roots in UNIX/Admin mentality and it shows it's head
at times. Let's face it, the entire reason PC's caught on in the first
place was to get something done sooner without having to kiss someone's
butt to do it. Then Windows arrived and even the Pointy Haired Boss
could deal with a computer, as well as Joe Lunchbucket. So, guess what
gets chosen for company wide use? Something with that comforting M$ flag
waving on it.

Now we're starting to see more and more Mac users, on an Intel platform
using another flavor of UNIX and people seem to love it. I think we
screwed the pooch on this one. That ought to be our market, not Jobs.
He's eating ribeyes off our plates. That's the helluvait is that the
application suites installed on an Intel Mac are not that many in
number, but he wisely focused on Audio/Video. He's kicking Windows in
the butt as well. On the other hand, he didn't have to handle the
drivers for 1,000 different soundcards, either. So, in the traditional
UNIX niche, Linux shines brightly. For a newbie-level user installing
for the first time, their mileage may vary as to the degree of
usefulness actually achieved. That's the minus. Ric

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar
http://www.wayward4now.net