need independant smtp auth server

The idea is to not mess with an existing SMTP mta server running on port 25 along with all of its delicate configurations. Instead I'd like to run another SMTP daemon on a non-standard port that simply serves as a simple SMTP AUTH server for my remote users. It would be like a smtp proxy for authentication purposes only to relay.

Is there anything out there that's fairly light-weight other than a full blown mta?
thanks,
-Eric Wood