Re: fedora core 6 (writable file permissions related)

Harpreet Dhaliwal wrote:
Hi,
I've been asked to check permissions on system directories and files using the follwoing command:

# find / -perm -002 -type f -print

output of this command is as follows:

/proc/2056/attr/keycreate
/proc/2056/attr/sockcreate
/proc/2057/task/2057/attr/current
/proc/2057/task/2057/attr/exec
/proc/2057/task/2057/attr/fscreate
/proc/2057/task/2057/attr/keycreate
/proc/2057/task/2057/attr/sockcreate
/proc/2057/attr/current
/proc/2057/attr/exec
/proc/2057/attr/fscreate
/proc/2057/attr/keycreate
/proc/2057/attr/sockcreate
/proc/2058/task/2058/attr/current
/proc/2058/task/2058/attr/exec
/proc/2058/task/2058/attr/fscreate
/proc/2058/task/2058/attr/keycreate

I don't know how in the world this kind of output would tell me the permissions.
I really did not understand it.
Can someone help me out with this problem.

thanks in advance,
~Harpreet
If I read the man page for "find" correctly, what this command does is to start at the root of your file system "/" and look for files "-type f" that have the permissions set for the world to be able to write to them "mode 002", and then prints the file name "-print" to standard out (your screen).

"man is your friend".

ls -al will tell you about all the permissions in a more explicit way.

Perhaps if you provide the context in which it was suggested that you use this command, someone can help you interpret the results?

~~R