Re: Fedora Core 6 related (SECURING FTP SERVER)

On Sat, 2007-02-03 at 11:58 -0500, Jasbinder Singh Bali wrote:
> Hi,
> I want my ftp server not to allow any remote root login access.
> How to accomplish this. I really don't know where is the acutal
> configuration file for the ftp server in fecora core 6.
> is it /etc/lftp.conf

This depends on the FTP server (note that /etc/lftp.conf is owned by the
lftp package, which is an FTP *client*)

I use vsftpd (the default FTP server for Fedora) which denies root
logins by default - the file "/etc/vsftpd/ftpusers" contains a list of
logins that are not permitted login.

If you're using wu-ftpd / proftpd / pure-ftpd, they have a similar or
even identical mechanism (the former certainly does) - check their
documentation for more details

> Thanks,
> Jas

Michael.

--
Michael Fleming <mfleming@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> in Brisbane, Australia
"Be master of your mind, not mastered by mind"