Re: Dell's w/o OS - where?

On Friday 02 February 2007 13:52, David L wrote:
> I'd be interested in hearing how Fedora works on one of
> these.  I didn't go through with the order because I just
> bought a new computer a few months ago.  But it'd be
> great if these things play well with Linux... it's a step
> on the road to being able to buy a Linux machine at the
> corner computer store I hope.

Wal-Mart is still selling only from their website one system
with Linspire installed.  They have been doing that for
about 5 years now.

Yea, I bought one of those about 4 years ago.  A recent Linspire
Live CD won't even boot on it and I've never had very good luck
with Fedora on it.  I incorrectly assumed that if it was sold with
Linspire that I could install my Linux distrubution of choice and
have it work reasonably well.

I'm hoping that Dell has chosen some hardware that has decent
open source driver support.  The Linux community is so
fragmented by the number of different distributions, desktop
environments, and hardware combinations that it's
often difficult to find somebody having the same problem as you.
And not everybody wants to build their own systems (personally,
I'd happily build my own system if I knew that there was a large
user community running exactly the same combination of
components and that they were working great under Linux).

David

Invite your Hotmail contacts to join your friends list with Windows Live Spaces http://clk.atdmt.com/MSN/go/msnnkwsp0070000001msn/direct/01/?href=http://spaces.live.com/spacesapi.aspx?wx_action=create&wx_url=/friends.aspx&mkt=en-us