Re: tetex FC6

François Patte wrote:
Bonjour,

as a TeX user I very puzzled using TeX/LaTeX under FC6:

1- man is not up to date: it refers to initex (and some other init
scripts for TeX which no longer exist...)

"If they exist, then both initex and virtex are symbolic
links to the tex executable."

2- as it took almost 10 seconds before latex begun to compile a file, I
used strace to see why.... and I discovered that latex was reading all
directories in my home dir to find the file it needed to compile my
(small) test file!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't reproduce this (and my home directory is quite cluttered),
A file that demonstrates this problem would be useful.

It is more and more like M$ which search a file in all possible
directories instead of reading an uptodate database.

You refer to M$ in your other email as well.  I'm not sure why.

Don't understand why it is like this!

QUESTIONS:
how to build babel format for latex, pdflatex and Co as initex and
pdfinitex no longer exist?

I've never used Babel, but from the line in the line in the man
page (which you refer to):
"When called as initex (or when the -ini option is given) it can be
used to precompile macros into a .fmt file."

--
imalone