Re: Fedora ISO distribution with Metalink

On Fri, 02 Feb 2007 01:02:55 -0500, Anthony Bryan wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I just wanted to invite people to try out downloading Fedora ISOs with
> Metalink.
> It's an XML format for listing mirrors and checksums along with other
> information. openSUSE, OpenOffice.org, Arch Linux, and other distributions use
> it.
>
> It usually results in much faster and more reliable downloads.
>
> aria2 is in Extras and is a great command line client for segmented downloads
> and BitTorrent, along with Metalink. There are also other GUI clients on Mac,
> Unix, and Windows.
>
> You can find .metalinks for most Fedora ISOs at
> http://download.packages.ro/metalink/fedora/
>
> For more info, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metalink
>
> I'd be interested in any comments people have.
> --
> (( Anthony Bryan
>   )) Metalink [ http://www.metalinker.org ]

OK, I read most of the fedora parts, started to download aria2, and
suddenly thought to try yum install aria2 instead. It worked -- you got it
and installed it -- but now I have an old old Very Dumb Question : how do
I invoke it?? It doesn't seem to have added a launcher to the main menu
under internet, where I'd expected to find it ...

Fedora Core 6; CXO 5.0.1; Pine 4.64, Pan 0.119; Privoxy 3.0.3;
Dillo 0.8.6, Galeon 2.0.3, Epiphany 2.16, Opera 9.02, Firefox 1.5